For many years Church Town was the main centre of population in North
Meols. This changed in the latter half of the 19th century when the growing popularity of sea bathing, for which
the adjacent shore at South Haws was found to be eminently
suitable, led to a new and far-reaching development.
town of Southport grew rapidly into one of the most attractive
seaside resorts in the north of England and Churchtown was eventually
subsumed into the new County Borough, along with the other villages
of Birkdale and Ainsdale.
Southport as it is now was founded by William Sutton (“The Mad Duke”) in 1792. His first hotel was located at what is now the junction of Duke Street and Lord Street.
Attractions include Southport Pier, the second longest seaside pleasure pier in the British Isles, and Lord Street, an elegant tree-lined shopping street once home of Napoleon III of France.
Southport is also host to events such as the Southport Flower Show, Woodvale Rally, Southport Air Show, Fireworks Championships, Summer Classics Concerts, and many more.